Saturday, April 2, 2011

I love potato salad!

Do you love potato salad but hate to make it because you have to wash and peel potatoes and then cook and cube them? Me too. A couple of years ago I started looking for a better way to make potato salad. I tried using the hash brown potatoes that are small cubes. It had OK flavor but the cubes were so tiny and did not hold their shape. Failure. I am one that does not like my potato salad like mashed potatoes. I can eat it, but I prefer the most of the potatoes stay cubed.

One day I was in Kroger. I saw the Steam & Mash Potatoes from Ore Ida. Light bulb went off. Try those for potato salad. I bought a bag and decided I would try. It worked! One bag is enough for a couple of people to eat on for a couple of days. And it is good! So.....now when I make potato salad, I buy those and cook them the evening before and even boil my eggs the evening before. Works well!

Potato Salad

1 bag Ore Ida Steam & Mash potatoes
microwave per package directions and cool completely (I refrigerate over night)

4 boiled eggs, cooled
1 sweet onion chopped
2 tsp pickle relish (sweet or dill or both)
salt and pepper to taste
Celery chopped (optional)
Green and red pepper chopped (optional)

Peel 3 of the boiled eggs, separate the yolks from the white. Chop up the white into the potatoes.

Coarsely mash the yolks in a medium mixing bowl, stir in the chopped onion (and optional vegetables) salt and pepper, and relish. Add several tablespoons Miracle Whip (or mayo, your preference) and 2 teaspoon mustard. This makes a "dressing" that you pour over and fold into your cooked, cooled potatoes and egg whites. Taste and add salt if needed.

Pour into serving bowl. Slice the remaining egg and top potato salad as a garnish. This will make enough to have at least 2 days for 2 people who absolutely love potato salad. Rick and I loved it! I still do!

Ore Ida has several varieties of potatoes too, if you like garlic, they have that already in there, if you like skins on, they have those too. I just use the russet potatoes. YUM!!!!!

When I am taking a big bowl of potato salad to a dinner or cookout, I use 3 or 4 bags of potatoes and increase the amount of eggs and onion. And of course, I increase the amount of Miracle Whip that I use for the dressing. Yes, the steam and mash potatoes do cost about $3.00 a bag, but taters cost quite a bit too, and the time and energy used in peeling and cubing all those potatoes and the waste that is eliminated saves in the end.

*Note that if you use them the least bit warm, you will have mashed potato salad......and don't try to "quick cool" them in ice water. There is a reason they make that bag like they do......it leaks! You will have soggy, unusable potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment