Monday, April 4, 2011

Biscuits

So tonight I am going to tell you how to make a good, home made biscuit. One of Rick's favorite foods was biscuits. I have been making them since I was eight years old. I think I got pretty good at it over the years. I have tried many brands of flour and I think the best flour for making biscuits in White Lily red label self rising flour. It is unbleached and it is so soft. And the biscuits rise up so high......


One secret to making biscuits is to not overwork your dough. The more you work the dough, the tougher the biscuit so....practice and don't overwork that dough!!!

Another secret or two....invest in a pastry blender. That is one tool I will never be without.
Also, bake your biscuits on an airflow cookie sheet or a pizza stone. Seriously, unless you just forget the things in the oven forever, they will brown nicely and not burn but if you use a single layer cookie sheet or an aluminum pan, you can count on burned crusts.

Let's make biscuits!

Preheat oven to 475*
2 cups white lily self rising flour
1/2 cup Crisco (regular or butter flavor)
milk

In your large mixing bowl, place your flour and Crisco. Take your pastry blender and cut the shortening into the flour.

Stir in enough milk to make a thick, sticky but not wet dough that holds together but you can handle it. This will be about 3/4 cup milk. Don't over stir. You want the dough to hold together well, form a ball and place it on a sheet of floured wax paper. Next, you want to lightly knead or fold over the dough 3 or 4 times, using care not to overwork the dough. Now, pat it out into a nice rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out your biscuits and place on pan, sides touching will make soft side biscuits that won't rise as much, or about 1.5 to 2 inches apart and they will rise and fall over......bake until nicely browned, about 15 minutes or so. And remember no one ever baked a perfect biscuit the first time.....except maybe me LOL!!! I did this every day I had off for many, many years. Practice and hey, call me, I would love to try your biscuits! I have made these when we go camping too, just "bake" them on the grill but you gotta watch them closely!

No comments:

Post a Comment