Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sourdough Starter



Sourdough Starter

Sourdough bread is a great thing! Last nights post about Amish bread got me to thinking more about how I used to start making sourdough bread this time of year every year, so I may do that again this year. I love to make homemade sourdough cinnamon rolls! They are awesome! Everywhere I have ever taken them people have loved them! So, here is the recipe for the starter. I am going to get it started tomorrow, and I will have a cup to give away in a few days. If you want it, just let me know. Over the next couple of days, I will post how to make the bread and the cinnamon rolls.......good luck!

Sourdough Starter
1 pkg dry yeast 3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water 3 T. instant potato flakes

Mix dry yeast with 1/2 cup of the warm water. Combine sugar, remaining 1 cup warm water, and potato flakes. Stir and add yeast mixture. Stir. Loosely cover with plastic wrap with two or three air holes punched in it. Let stand all day. Refrigerate. On day 3, take out and bring to room temperature. Feed with feeder below.

Sourdough Feeder
1 cup warm water
3/4 cup sugar 3 T. instant potato flakes

Mix feeder ingredients. Add to starter. Allow to stand out of refrigerator all day. Should start to bubble. At the end of the day (or 12 hours) remove 1 cup starter to use in making bread. Return remainder to refrigerator. After 3-5 days feed again. Remove one cup starter to give away or make bread, return remainder to refrigerator and repeat cycle. Can be stored in a canning jar, glass bowl or plastic bowl!

I usually feed at night, then when the 12 hours are up, it is daytime hours and I make my bread. :)

I hope you enjoy! Coming up:
Sourdough bread
Sourdough Cinnamon rolls!

Note to self! The sourdough cinnamon rolls make great Christmas gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment