Sunday, May 10, 2015

It is how I was raised


I was raised in the 60s and 70s. When I was raised, when someone close to you passed away, you cooked food and took it to the home of the closest relative. When Rick died, people brought food. No, you really don't feel like eating, but you must eat. Our bodies do need food to keep going. It is helpful to have that food brought in and that way, those who are grieving don't have to worry about cooking.

I did have some pans and plates to return and that really wasn't a problem because they all lived very close. I was very grateful to not have to worry about fixing food. There was plenty. 

Yesterday I took food to the Woosleys who lost their son early yesterday morning. I fixed a caramel pie with whipped cream, 2 coconut cream pies, and meatballs in spicy sauce. Everything, including the whipped cream was in a container that they don't have to get back to me. I picked up the disposable aluminum pans and a reusable but also disposable plastic container for the whipped cream when I went to the grocery yesterday. That is one thing I am going to stock from now on. Disposable pans and containers for these very times. People do die. And taking food has continued in our circle of friends. So, Stock up and when it's your turn to take, you can use the disposable items and not have to worry about (not that you would really worry, just a figure of speech) them having to get your pie plates and other containers back to you.


Disposable pie pans

Homemade coconut cream pie in a disposable pie pan. This pan had a plastic under thingy and a cover so the pie snapped securely in it and the meringue was safe as well as keeping the pie covered. The plastic was strong enough to help support the pie.  I made my favorite pie crust recipe and it worked very well. Next time I am out, I am buying more of these pans and I am going to make the crusts ahead of time and freeze. Then in a couple of weeks, I will take one out and use it. If Pillsbury can freeze pie dough, then I should be able to as well. I know, no preservatives in mine so they are healthier,, but they won't store as long as the dough-boys. But, I wont make many at least at first. I have had a few opportunities to use them lately unfortunately. I will let you know in a future post how it turns out. I may make a post about this as I go. We will see. 
Larger disposable pan, great for meats.
This pan had a lid as well, and I placed the meatballs in it and covered them. They made it over to the Woosleys without incident. And there is no cleanup after - they just toss the pan and done. And they can reheat the meatballs in the oven in that pan if needed.

These meatballs went in the disposable foil pan. 

Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and body with grief.

I love all y'all❤️
To be continued..........

No comments:

Post a Comment