Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Homemade Saltines

So I am out of crackers. I thought: if I can make buns, I can make crackers. So I did! 

And here's how I did it:

4 cups bread flour (White Lily)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Stir together and add:
3/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
(Cut in with 2 knives or pastry blender)
1 1/3 cups milk

Stir together until dough forms a ball. Divide into 4 sections. Roll out each section, one at a time, very thin 1/8 to 3/16 inches thick. Cut crackers with cookie cutter, biscuit cutter or pastry wheel. 



Place crackers on ungreased cookie sheet (I used my pampered chef pizza stone). Prick dough with fork several times each piece and sprinkle with salt. 

Bake at 375 degrees 12 to 20 minutes until golden brown.  Store in an air tight container. 


Yum! They are good. Didn't take long at all! 

Hope you try this and let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment