Saturday, August 6, 2011

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce




Back in 1978 after graduating from nursing school, I moved out of the only home I had ever known. My best friend's mother said "it will never last, she'll be back".......that bit of lack of confidence in my ability to make it on my own made me very determined to do just that. I have been back for a weekend (and a couple of weeks when we lived in MA) on occasion when we lived away from here, but I never moved back. That probably was not one of my wiser moves......hahaha. But then again, if I had been living at home, I most likely would never have met Rick and most likely I would not be posting a blog......so thanks Patsy for that comment!

The room-mate I had for 3 years and I used to make lots of different things, one of which was home-made spaghetti sauce, so I will post that recipe here:
Spaghetti Sauce
2 large cans crushed or diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 medium onion chopped finely
2 green bell peppers coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp minced garlic (I buy it in the jar and keep it in the fridge)
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 to 1 tsp oregano leaves (if you use fresh, use the lesser amount)
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 pound sliced mushrooms (optional)
1 pound ground meat (chuck or round)
Parmesan cheese as desired

Combine all ingredients in a crock-pot and simmer 3-4 hours
Brown and drain one pound ground chuck or ground round; drain, and add to the sauce OR make the meatballs from an earlier post. Serve over cooked spaghetti or your favorite pasta. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Myra, I enjoyed browsing through your blog.
    I have written a cookbook you might be interested in. It's called "NEVER Trust a Skinny Cook!" So far I have sold over 900 copies and the experts tell me that if I can sell 1,000 copies, I can get a REAL publisher to pick it up.
    I also have a blog about preparedness and living self-sufficiently. It's called Penny Pincher's Pantry and if you would like to check it out you can at http://louspennypincherspantry.blogspot.com
    I'm currently posting weekly and it has mostly consisted of canning and freezing but I also include things like making your own homemade laundry detergent(cheap, cheap, cheap) and how to dry pack can things like crackers. I've enjoyed my tour through your blog and feel we have a lot in common.
    Mary Lou Hill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I checked out your blog, and it is great, I posted a link to it here....

    ReplyDelete